May 16, 2014

Pont Du Gard and Millau!

Roughly an hours drive away from Arles we finally reached our first stop of the day, Pont Du Gard. I wasn't sure what to expect. I've seen photo's of the monument but in each photo it was not clear on what size it is and what's around it. Unless you get an aerial photo of course, then you can see everything surrounding it and get some perspective.

Myself at the Pont Du Gard
I thought it would be...longer. As you walk up to it you can see parts of it through trees, seeing one end of it but not quite the other. Impossible to tell where it ends by seeing just one end, it made my imagination go a little overboard. Grandad and myself made the walk up to the Pont Du Gard with Grandma staying behind in a cafe. Unfortunately we've all come down with a cold so walking a distance against strong cold winds isn't the best idea. We made our way out to it, walked halfway along the bridge adjacent and stared up. I tried to read the plaque stuck onto the side, a considerably recent addition, as well as all the graffiti that has been etched into it over the decades. The plaque was written in French even though it is in an old style, similar to Greek, and dedicated to Emperor Napoleon III for his restoration of the Pont Du Gard. I didn't know this at the time and only recognised the name so I asked Grandad for a little bit of background on Napoleon III as I was unsure of exactly what he did, and why he was so important he had his name on the monument. We discussed it as we walked back to the car, meeting Grandma on the way.

Chateau in Millau
After the Pont Du Gard we continued on to Millau where we are to spend the night at a chateau. The view driving in was incredible. I was too awe struck to dig through my bag and find my camera. You drive in from such a height that you get an aerial view of the entire town. Surrounded by lush, green mountains, a huge bridge in the distance behind it, Millau looks like the little hidden town you could run away to and be safe from everything from the outside world. Of all the French and Spanish countryside I have seen in the last few days of tours and driving, Millau is by far the greenest. That, coupled with the style of the town makes it one of the prettiest places I've seen. The chateau we're staying in overnight is so large and quaint, old and modern. It's adorable. The hourly ringing clock tower next to it not so much but the chateau is adorable.
Side of Chateau and clock/bell tower beside it

Tomorrow making our way up to Lyon for an overnight stay and then on to a weeklong stay elsewhere. 23 more days of exploring parts of Europe!

No comments:

Post a Comment